This tastes like takeout, but is healthy!
Your family and friends will be impressed with this aromatic and flavorful Biryani-inspired dish. Slow Cooker Indian Chicken and Rice is a great alternative to carryout and includes healthy whole grains and protein. Best of all, your leftovers can be heated the next day for a hearty lunch.
Slow cooker recipes are a great option for busy families on the go or just for those who prefer to spend their time doing something other than slaving away in the kitchen. Try a few of our other slow cooker recipes here.
Slow Cooker Indian Chicken and Rice
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" strips
- 1 cup long grain brown rice uncooked
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt low-fat plain
- 2 cups chicken broth fat-free, low sodium
- 4 ounces green chili peppers canned, drained and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons mint leaves fresh
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion medium, cut into thin rings
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- In a medium skillet add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and sauté onion and garlic on medium heat, cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons mint leaves for garnish and 5-6 sauteed onion rings for garnish.
- In a large mixing bowl add sautéed onion and garlic, all other spices and herbs, Greek yogurt, chicken broth and chicken strips; stir to thoroughly coat chicken. Cover and place chicken mixture in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, allowing the flavors time to meld.
- Turn slow cooker to high.
- Add rice (uncooked) on the bottom of the slow cooker. Add chicken mixture over rice, cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5-6. Check after 2 hours two hours to see if additional liquid is needed...if so, add another 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cook until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Garnish with remaining mint leaves and onion rings and a few raisins if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.