You'll be amazed at how easy it is to make such a delicious dish!
This is a great stew to make when you don’t have time to cook. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and come home hours later to a comforting meal that is full of flavor. Tip: Any type of bean will work in this recipe. I use a 6½ quart slow cooker. If you have a smaller version of this appliance, simply cut the ingredients in half.
Carrie Forrest is a graduate student in public health nutrition and the author of the blog Carrie on Vegan. Through her writings, step-by-step photo guides and recipes, Carrie inspires readers to prepare plant-based recipes that are 100% delicious. Carrie firmly believes that superior health is achievable through nutritional excellence and specializes in whole-food, simple recipes that are low in added fats, sugars and salt. Find Carrie on Vegan on Facebook and Pinterest.
Slow Cooker Indian Stew
- 1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans cooked or canned
- 1 1/2 cups black beans cooked or canned
- 1 1/2 cups red kidney beans cooked or canned
- 2 onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 sweet potato medium
- 1 head of cauliflower medium
- 2 cups diced tomatoes canned, no-salt added
- 2 cups tomato sauce canned, no-salt added
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk canned full-fat
- fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans, black beans, and kidney beans. Transfer to a 6½ quart slow cooker.
- Chop onions and mince garlic.
- Peel sweet potato and chop into large chunks.
- Wash cauliflower and divide into florets.
- Transfer onions, garlic, potato, and cauliflower to slow cooker.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, allspice, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, ginger, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook on high for 6 hours. Stir in coconut milk.
- Just before serving, pull leaves from cilantro and chop. Cut limes into wedges.
- Serve stew hot with cilantro and lime wedges.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: daily eNewsletter.