This is a great stew to make when you don’t have time to cook. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and come home hours later to a comforting meal that is full of flavor. Tip: Any type of bean will work in this recipe. I use a 6½ quart slow cooker. If you have a smaller version of this appliance, simply cut the ingredients in half.
Carrie Forrest is a graduate student in public health nutrition and the author of the blog Carrie on Vegan. Through her writings, step-by-step photo guides and recipes, Carrie inspires readers to prepare plant-based recipes that are 100% delicious. Carrie firmly believes that superior health is achievable through nutritional excellence and specializes in whole-food, simple recipes that are low in added fats, sugars and salt. Find Carrie on Vegan on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Yield: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 428 | Total Fat:3.4 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 344 mg | Carbohydrates: 78 g | Dietary Fiber: 20.1 g | Sugars: 11.1 g | Protein: 24.8 g | SmartPoints: 12 |
- 1½ cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans
- 1½ cups cooked or canned black beans|
- 1½ cups cooked or canned red kidney beans
- 2 onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 cups canned no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups canned no-salt added tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1½ cups full-fat canned coconut milk|
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 1 tesapoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Rinse and drain garbanzo beans, black beans, and kidney beans. Transfer to a 6½ quart slow cooker.
- 2. Chop onions and mince garlic.
- 3. Peel sweet potato and chop into large chunks.
- 4. Wash cauliflower and divide into florets.
- 5. Transfer onions, garlic, potato, and cauliflower to slow cooker.
- 6. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, allspice, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, ginger, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook on high for 6 hours. Stir in coconut milk.
- 7. Just before serving, pull leaves from cilantro and chop. Cut limes into wedges.
- 8. Serve stew hot with cilantro and lime wedges.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.