Loaded Potato Soup is an all-time favorite comfort food! Our Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup puts everything you love about a loaded baked potato into a slow cooker. Since it’s a SkinnyMs. recipe, we used turkey bacon, low-fat cheeses, and Greek yogurt in place of heavy cream.
The only thing you cook outside of the slow cooker is the bacon, so it’s easy to prep and clean up. You can even prep a batch of bacon ahead of time for other meals, in addition to the soup. This loaded soup makes a hearty meal in and of itself, but you could serve it with a wheat roll or crusty bread. Trust us, you’ll want something to help you sop up every last bit of creamy, delicious broth.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 347 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 521mg | Carbohydrates: 55g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints: 11
- 3 slices nitrate free turkey bacon, diced
- 3 large potatoes, washed and diced with skins on
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Neufchatel cheese or fat free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or fat free sour cream, divided
- 1/4 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- In small skillet cook 1 tablespoon of the diced bacon until crispy. Reserve and refrigerate.
- In slow cooker combine remaining uncooked bacon, potatoes, onion, garlic, broth, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove 2 cups of the soup and add to blender. Blend until smooth and return to remaining soup. Add Neufchatel cheese and 1/4 cup of the yogurt. Whisk until smooth. Ladle into serving bowls, top with refrigerated cooked bacon, a table spoon of the remaining yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, and green onion.
What’s your ultimate favorite comfort food in a bowl? Share with us in the comments!