So good, you'll swear it's take-out!
Craving take-out, but don’t want to cheat on your clean eating plan? This recipe delivers all of the delicious goodness of your favorite Chinese food, with all of the ingredients you love to love.
Better yet, it’s a quick and simple way to make dinner! Just toss a handful of simple ingredients into the slow cooker, set it, and forget it.
This recipe calls for a ginger-garlic puree. You’ll usually find it bottled in the produce section of most grocery stores. If you’re unable to find it, feel free to use fresh ginger and fresh garlic. Finely chop them, and add them to your crockpot. It takes a little more prep work, but it adds tons of incredible flavor.
If you’re looking for an entire clean eating take-out menu, try pairing this yummy chicken with our Crockpot Cauliflower Fried Rice. Both dishes taste great together, and are so easy to cook, you’ll feel like you got the night off!
Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into large pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger-garlic puree or fresh chopped ginger and garlic
- 1/4 cup tamari or Braggs aminos or coconut aminos
- 1 lime peel removed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, optional
- Place chicken in a 5 quart crockpot.
- In a blender, combine ginger-garlic puree, tamari, and peeled lime. Puree.
- Drizzle sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook chicken for 3-5 hours on high, or 4-6 hours on low.
- When the chicken is cooked through and tender, remove the lid from the crockpot, drain the juices, and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Stir to coat. Garnish with green onions and cilantro. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
My husband and I love sesame chicken! Cannot wait to try this recipe!
I really wanted to love this, but it didn't turn out great for me. Don't get me wrong, it tasted alright, but not what I was expecting. It had too much of a lime taste, and the chicken ended up a weird texture. It's possible that my crockpot was too big and the chicken didn't have enough sauce properly dispersed, but by the time it was finished (6 hours on low), there wasn't enough and it was a bit dry. With all of that being said, it has a lot of potential, and it could have been my fault. Cooking it for a shorter amount of time may have been the better option. You might need to tweak it a bit, but I think it's worth a try.
I loved it and make it often. I replaced the lime with 2-3 tablespoons of lime juice and cook on high for 3 hrs but it always comes out wonderfully!
Think I’ll try it without so much honey to reduce the points per serving
For future readers who may not cook often like myself, I must warn you against putting a whole peeled lime in this. All I could taste was lime.
Russ, Our taste testers enjoyed the lime. For those who are on the fence, I recommend 1/2 or 1/4 of the lime in the recipe.
Could I do this recipe in an Insta pot?
Beryl, I haven’t made in an Insta Pot but it should work fine.