Sweet potato soup is a warm way to welcome fall!
Don’t wait until the holiday season to enjoy sweet potatoes; try this delicious slow cooker sweet potato soup recipe to get a head start. Super easy to prepare, and with the right combination of sweet, spicy, and savory, this sweet potato soup recipe is guilt-free, full of nutrients, and and will satisfy your taste buds like nothing else.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion medium, diced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano preferably Mexican
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes medium, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- jalapeños sliced, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, jalapeño, and garlic, and cook until soft. Stir in the seasonings, and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and stock to the slow cooker pot, and turn on to low. Cover and cook for about 4 hours, until potatoes are tender. Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Add back to the pot and stir in the sour cream. Serve the soup garnished with the cheese and additional jalapeños, if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms