Let’s raise a pint to a stress-free, guilt-free stew your whole family will enjoy.
Obviously beer isn’t a typical part of a clean or low-carb diet. But, when you’re looking to add some deep flavors into a hearty stew, it’s a logical (and flavorful) addition. The good news is that Guinness actually has fewer calories than an equal amount of milk or orange juice, so your diet doesn’t have to be put on hold to enjoy our Slow Cooker Stout Chicken Stew. This stew recipe is is chock-full of fresh vegetables and yes, Guinness.
And as always, the joy of slow cooking is that with minimal preparation, you can toss everything in and leave it. So let’s raise a pint to a stress-free, guilt-free stew your whole family will enjoy.
Slow Cooker Stout Chicken Stew
- 8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut into large cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 celery stalks cut into slices
- 3 carrots large, sliced into thick rounds
- 2 potatoes any variety, large, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup roasted bell peppers chopped
- 1 yellow onion medium, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 thyme sprigs fresh or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 14 ounces Guinness can or other stout
- 1/4 cup flat parsley chopped, for optional garnish
- Remove chicken from the fridge and pat dry. Sprinkle all the salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper on all sides of the chicken cubes. Spread flour out on a small plate and dredge the cubes in the flour, coating all sides. Shake off excess flour. Place oil in bottom of a large pan over medium heat, add cubes, and cook chicken on all sides until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken and all other ingredients to slow cooker, along with juices from the pan. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving. Enjoy!
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms