If you’re unfamiliar with polenta, we have something uniquely delicious in store for you! The traditional Italian comfort food might taste fancy; however, it’s actually made from simple, inexpensive ingredients like corn meal, milk, and butter. Slow cooking the dish yields creamy, mouthwatering polenta you just can’t get enough of. And this recipe cranks up the flavor a bit by calling for white cheddar cheese, which packs a protein punch while adding gooey richness.
We’ve paired this scrumptious polenta with some warm winter greens, for a meal that contrasts in both color and taste. Simply sauté your choice of leafy vegetables with olive oil and minced garlic, and top the polenta with these silky greens. You can’t go wrong with this comforting, nutritious meal, certain to receive some well-deserved attention from your family and friends!
When you think of slow cooker recipes, you might first think of hearty stews or meats. While these are excellent in a slow cooker, you can cook many other comfort foods, such as this cheddar polenta recipe. Topped with healthy winter greens, this is a filling meal that will satisfy. Creamy polenta mixed with sharp white cheddar is warm and delicious on a cool fall or winter day, and like most slow cooking foods, it doesn’t take much to put together. When topped with garlicky greens and a sprinkling of goat cheese, it’s a meal that is sure to be a hit.
Also, try some of these other Slow Cooker Recipes.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup polenta and 1/2 cup greens |Calories: 473| Total Fat: 22 g | Saturated Fat: 10 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 45 mg | Sodium: 273 mg | Carbohydrates: 52 g | Dietary Fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 19 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 16
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup coarse corn meal or corn grits
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound dark leafy winter greens, such as chard, lake, or collards
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Crumbled goat cheese, for garnish
- Put the polenta and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter and whisk until there are no clumps. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to your slow cooker, and cook on high for about 2 hours.
- Before serving the polenta, make the greens. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and garlic, sauté for a minute and add the leafy greens. Cook until wilted, for about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice.
- When you’re ready to serve, stir the half and half and cheddar into the polenta. Top the polenta with greens and a sprinkle of goat cheese. Serve hot.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
What are your favorite slow cooker recipes? Tell us about them in the comments section below.