For a quick and hearty dish that’s wholesome enough to star at tonight’s dinner table, look no further than this Creamy Southwestern Meatball Soup! At a time when most chowders and cream-based soups get that thick and decadent consistency from heavy cream, butter, and cheese, this recipe leaves out those fattening ingredients, opting for healthier alternatives that slash a whole bunch of calories from the final dish.
Delicious veggies like carrots, celery, and russet potatoes make their way into a flavorful soup base that’s seasoned with turmeric. Tender, chewy meatballs made from nutritious ingredients like lean ground turkey, minced onions, garlic, and chili powder, add protein-packed goodness to the dish. Finally, Greek yogurt gives the soup its smooth and buttery character, while delivering healthy probiotics your belly will thank you for. This meatball soup makes for an easy meal to whip up on busier nights and store for tomorrow’s lunch!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 258mg | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 464mg | Carbohydrates: 18g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 19g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (we used whole grain)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 large egg, free-range, beaten
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock, fat-free
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, whole recommended (optional, sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons diced cilantro, garnish
- Combine meatball ingredients in a mxing bowl. Shape into 1-inch meatballs. Add olive oil to a large skillet, turn to medium heat and cook meatballs on both sides until lightly browned and cooked through. Cover skillet and turn off heat.
- In a large pot, add chicken broth, turmeric, carrots, potatoes, and celery Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a low-boil. Continue cooking until carrots, potatoes, and celery are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add yogurt, stir until smooth.
- Add meatballs to soup and warm over medium-low heat for 1 minute, no more. Sprinkle soup with diced cilantro before serving.
We love hearing from our readers. Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment in the section below.