Craving carbs? Do you hunger for the loopy, noodly feel of pasta, but don’t want to load up on carbohydrates that offer little in the way of nutritional value? Spaghetti squash is the answer to your prayers. This hearty, healthy root vegetable contains flesh with a spaghetti-like texture when raked out with a fork. Scoop it out for a mound of noodles that aren’t noodles at all! They’re delicious strands of veggies that offer fiber and beta carotene in every bite!
We’ve taken our spaghetti squash on a journey to the American southwest. Some of our favorite, healthy flavors hail from this region, and this spaghetti squash recipe highlights them in such a nutritious way. Ground turkey offers lean protein, while black beans provide lean protein and a ton of fiber. Salsa and tomato both bring antioxidant power, to the table, and our own special taco seasoning is sure to have a place in your pantry the moment you taste its unique blend of herbs and spices.
This lean southwestern recipe will be a hit among kids and grown-ups alike. Prepare some for a well-rounded weeknight dinner, or make a big batch for everyone to dig into throughout the weekend. It’s spicy flavor and comforting combination of textures makes it a real favorite! Be sure to serve it to even the most skeptical of pasta-addicts! This dish will win them over; we promise!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups | Calories: 247 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 50 mg | Sodium: 336 mg | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 19 g | SmartPoints: 7
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/8 cup olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 tablespoon Skinny taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 (3.5-ounce) low-fat mozzarella ball, roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, roughly chopped (can be replaced with other herbs like cilantro or parsley)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice the squash vertically in half then sprinkle the pulp side with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper then drizzle the half of the olive oil. Place the squash skin side up on a baking pan. Bake between 30 - 40 minutes or until tender.
- While waiting for the squash to cook, prepare the sauce. Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan with the remaining olive oil, sautè the garlic and onion for a minute. Add the turkey then toss until cooked through. Add the black beans, salsa and taco seasoning. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add the lime juice then add the remaining salt and pepper.
- When the squash is cooked, take it out then, stab the pulp side with a fork and shred the pulp. Transfer to the serving bowls.
- Distribute the sauce on top of the spaghetti squash then garnish with the mozzarella, tomatoes and chives.
Subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.!
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.