Ditch the pasta! Make room for veggies!
Craving carbs? Do you hunger for the loopy, noodly feel of pasta, but don’t want to load up on carbohydrates that offer little in the way of nutritional value? Spaghetti squash is the answer to your prayers. This hearty, healthy root vegetable contains flesh with a spaghetti-like texture when raked out with a fork. Scoop it out for a mound of noodles that aren’t noodles at all! They’re delicious strands of veggies that offer fiber and beta carotene in every bite!
We’ve taken our spaghetti squash on a journey to the American southwest. Some of our favorite, healthy flavors hail from this region, and this spaghetti squash recipe highlights them in such a nutritious way. Ground turkey offers lean protein, while black beans provide lean protein and a ton of fiber. Salsa and tomato both bring antioxidant power, to the table, and our own special taco seasoning is sure to have a place in your pantry the moment you taste its unique blend of herbs and spices.
This lean southwestern recipe will be a hit among kids and grown-ups alike. Prepare some for a well-rounded weeknight dinner, or make a big batch for everyone to dig into throughout the weekend. It’s spicy flavor and comforting combination of textures makes it a real favorite! Be sure to serve it to even the most skeptical of pasta-addicts! This dish will win them over; we promise!
Southwestern Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/8 cup olive oil divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided
- pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 onion medium, minced
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 tablespoon Skinny taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 1/2 ounces mozzarella ball low-fat, roughly chopped
- 1 tomato large, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chives fresh, roughly chopped (can be replaced with other herbs like cilantro or parsley)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice the squash vertically in half then sprinkle the pulp side with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper then drizzle the half of the olive oil. Place the squash skin side up on a baking pan. Bake between 30 - 40 minutes or until tender.
- While waiting for the squash to cook, prepare the sauce. Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan with the remaining olive oil, sautè the garlic and onion for a minute. Add the turkey then toss until cooked through. Add the black beans, salsa and taco seasoning. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add the lime juice then add the remaining salt and pepper.
- When the squash is cooked, take it out then, stab the pulp side with a fork and shred the pulp. Transfer to the serving bowls.
- Distribute the sauce on top of the spaghetti squash then garnish with the mozzarella, tomatoes and chives.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything Skinny Ms.!
We’d love to hear what you think of this recipe, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.
This is a great recipe, have made it many times….
John, Thank you! 🙂
My first time making spaghetti squash. And this recipe. My kids and my husband loved it and I can’t believe how low calorie and tasty it Is! Great recipe thank you!
Stacey, You are so welcome! 🙂
This was so good. I used cilantro on top and my husband and I both loved it. Thanks for sharing.
Our first time eating spaghetti squash and my husband and I loved this recipe. Thank you for posting! We will make this again.
We’re so glad to hear you loved the recipe, Tammy!
Just made this tonight. It was amazing! I can’t wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow 🙂
My family very much enjoyed this recipe!
Ashley, Great! Thank you for letting us know. 🙂
Can you give me an ideea about the green salad?…what ingredients do you recommend?…thank you!
Hi Danaella, I’m not sure what green salad you are referring to, this particular recipe is for a spaghetti squash dish! If you’re looking for a salad, we have several delicious salad recipes on the site! Feel free to look around, we have a great search function!
On day one at dinner you recommend Southwestern Spaghetti Squash with a green salad…and I was wondering what to use for this salad?…thank you!
Hi Danaella, Typically, I mixed some leafy greens, i.e. baby spinach, kale, and one other (whatever is available)…pretty simple. 🙂
Is there any snacks in the 21 day meal plan? Also, am I allowed to drink protein after working out?
Jessica, Of course! Have you tried pea or hemp protein powders? These are my personal favorites.
Delicious and satisfying! Will make again!
We’re so glad you liked it, Britney!
I haven’t tried your recipes yet, they look really yummy.
I am currently trying to lose weight and noticing the daily carb count. Is that something I need to concern myself with?
Hi Becky, That will depend on whether or not you are counting carbs. Everyone is different.
Can I use normal pumpkin ( I’m in Australia) and I can’t get spaghetti squash. Thanks
Kylie, Hmmm…this uses spaghetti squash because of the “spaghetti like” consistency. If you try regular squash please let us know. 🙂