This tasty Spaghetti Bolognese Cheesy Spinach Casserole recipe will have even the pickiest eaters gobbling up their veggies! Fast and simple, the crowd-pleasing casserole will allow you to dish up dinner quickly and with minimal effort. Nutritious whole-grain spaghetti is tossed in a mouthwatering meat sauce and combined with baby spinach, savory spices, and a collection of bold and delicious cheeses.
To slash calories and minimize fat, this dish calls for low-fat cottage and parmesan cheese, along with part-skim mozzarella cheese. Ground turkey packs a major protein punch. Complex carbs from the pasta give you slow-releasing energy to keep you full and focused for hours. They also ward off cravings!
This colorful, easy-to-slice casserole will wow your guests and have them coming back for seconds. With the recipe’s clean and wholesome ingredient list, you can happily cherish each cheesy, meaty bite without the guilt. Pop your leftovers in the fridge for overnight storage, and enjoy for tomorrow’s lunch!
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 372 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 820mg | Carbohydrates: 36g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 26g | SmartPoints: 11
- 10 ounces whole grain spaghetti, broken in half
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, optional beef
- 1 (25-ounce) jar basil marinara sauce, no-sugar added
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, then pasta. Cook until "al dente," according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground turkey, breaking up with a fork as it cooks. Continue cooking until it loses its pink color, drain off excess fat. Add marinara and spaghetti, toss to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Combine in a mixing bowl baby spinach, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and all cheese.
- In a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, layer 1/2 spaghetti and meat sauce mixture, then 1/2 of spinach cheese mixture. Repeat the layering.
- Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.
Love the recipe? Hungry for more? We’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment in the section below about this article or anything else you would like to see on the site.