Eating healthy does not have to be dry and boring and in fact, I love to spice up my recipes with herbs and fresh rosemary to add lots of flavor and taste to my crock pot recipes. My boneless skinless chicken breast comes out moist and tasty every time! I couple my chicken with crock pot brown rice for a fabulous meal anytime!
Don’t miss the Top 20 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
Grab a lunch size plate (or small bowl), add ½ cup of the cooked brown rice and top with approximately ½ to 1 cup shredded chicken. Slice fresh organic avocados and layer on top, sprinkle with Cholula Hot Sauce, and add a side spoon of plain nonfat Greek yogurt. Enjoy! Place the leftover brown rice and shredded chicken in separate containers and store in the refrigerator for fabulous leftovers during the week. The brown rice can be coupled with organic black beans for a complete protein meal or as a side dish to any lean protein, and the shredded chicken can be used for tacos, wraps, or eaten as is for a quick meal.
Yield: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup |Calories: 279 | Total Fat: 3.4 g | Saturated Fat: 0.8 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 44 mg | Sodium: 53 mg | Carbohydrates: 40.5 g | Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g | Sugars: 2.1 g | Protein: 20.8 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5 |
- 2 cups organic Brown Rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 14.5oz can organic ready cut diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 ribs organic celery, rinsed and diced
- ½ large sweet white onion, chopped
- Sriracha hot chili sauce (I squirt this all over the top before stirring)
- Organic herb mix (non salt) I sprinkle this in approx 2 tbsp
- ½ to 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 4 organic boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- ¼to ½ cup gourmet Yoshida sauce
- Sriracha hot chili sauce (squirt to cover the top of the chicken)
- Heavy sprinkling of organic herb mix (non salt)
- 1 tbsp crushed red chili peppers
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- If you have two slow cookers, cooking the brown rice and chicken in separate pots is ideal so they are done at close to the same time. However, cooking separately and placing the rice in a bowl to keep warm while the chicken cooks is just fine. Enjoy my Stay Healthy Slow Cooker Brown Rice and Chicken…the leftovers are FABULOUS!
- Let’ start with the Brown Rice:
- The secret to this fabulous “always moist” brown rice is the added celery to the ingredients. I have crocked several batches of brown rice and this is the BEST recipe so far and every time…FABULOUS. The texture of the rice is moist, never dry, even when placing the leftovers in the refrigerator for the week. The added veggies and spices make this rice tasty without having to additional toppings or spice. I like to side my rice with crock pot chicken or grilled fish. Grab your slow cooker for a simply healthy and tasty side of brown rice.
- In a Round 4-quart slow cooker set to high (cook for approximately 3-5 hours) Stir the ingredients in the crock, put the lid on and let it cook. Stir again about 2 hours in and to check on the rice. Keep cooking until all the rice is absorbed and mixture is thick but not mushy.
- Set a large oval crock pot to 6 hour cook, or the time you would like to have the chicken done. Using a fork, move and coat all the chicken breasts with the mixture until evenly combined. Cover and let the chicken cook for the allotted time selected (I use a 6hr cook). Open the lid and fork the chicken to shred and combine the juices and chicken together, until all is absorbed. Remove the rosemary sprigs and discard.
Follow Darla, a Nationally recognized Fitness Expert, Consultant, Coach, and Feature Fitness Writer on her blog Stay Healthy Fitness for more recipes, inspiration, motivation. You can also find Darla on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and on her website.
Find more slow-cooker recipes here!