Moist, tasty, and filling.
Eating healthy does not have to be dry and boring and in fact, I love to spice up my recipes with herbs and fresh rosemary to add lots of flavor and taste to my crock pot recipes. My boneless skinless chicken breast comes out moist and tasty every time! I couple my chicken with crock pot brown rice for a fabulous meal anytime!
Don’t miss the Top 20 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on Skinny Ms.
Stay Healthy Slow Cooker Brown Rice and Chicken
For the Rice
- 2 cups brown rice organic
- 5 cups water
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes organic, ready-cut canned, do not drain
- 4 celery ribs organic, rinsed and diced
- 1/2 sweet white onion large, chopped
- sriracha hot chili sauce I squirt this all over the top before stirring
- 2 tablespoons herb mix organic, no salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts organic
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup gourmet yoshida sauce
- sriracha hot chili sauce squirt to cover the top of the chicken
- heavy sprinkling of organic herb mix no salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 2 rosemary sprigs fresh
- If you have two slow cookers, cooking the brown rice and chicken in separate pots is ideal so they are done at close to the same time. However, cooking separately and placing the rice in a bowl to keep warm while the chicken cooks is just fine.
Let’ start with the Brown Rice
- The secret to this fabulous “always moist” brown rice is the added celery to the ingredients. I have crocked several batches of brown rice and this is the BEST recipe so far and every time…FABULOUS. The texture of the rice is moist, never dry, even when placing the leftovers in the refrigerator for the week. The added veggies and spices make this rice tasty without having to additional toppings or spice. I like to side my rice with crockpot chicken or grilled fish. Grab your slow cooker for a simply healthy and tasty side of brown rice.
- In a Round 4-quart slow cooker set to high (cook for approximately 3-5 hours) Stir the ingredients in the crock, put the lid on and let it cook. Stir again about 2 hours in and to check on the rice. Keep cooking until all the rice is absorbed and mixture is thick but not mushy.
- Set a large oval crockpot to 6 hour cook, or the time you would like to have the chicken done. Using a fork, move and coat all the chicken breasts with the mixture until evenly combined. Cover and let the chicken cook for the allotted time selected (I use a 6hr cook). Open the lid and fork the chicken to shred and combine the juices and chicken together, until all is absorbed. Remove the rosemary sprigs and discard.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Follow Darla, a Nationally recognized Fitness Expert, Consultant, Coach, and Feature Fitness Writer on her blog Stay Healthy Fitness for more recipes, inspiration, motivation.
Find more slow-cooker recipes here!