Serve with a nice tossed salad for a filling dinner, or enjoy for lunch the next day.
Love the idea of stuffed bell peppers but don’t want to go to the hassle of making them? Try our Stuffed Pepper Casserole! It has all the wonderful flavors and textures found in stuffed bell peppers in an easy-to-make casserole! We’ve kept it skinny by using ground turkey, brown rice, and low-fat cheese. This casserole is so good even the littles in your family will be wolfing it down!
Serve with a nice tossed salad for a filling dinner, or enjoy for lunch the next day. Leftovers (if there are any) reheat well. You can even make it ahead of time and freeze it for a quick meal down the road!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups bell peppers diced (use a variety of colored bell peppers!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes can, no sugar added
- 2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce low-sodium
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked, (we used 10 minute, not instant)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese low-fat, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9X13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add ground turkey, onion, and garlic. Cook, breaking meat into small pieces, until no pink remains in the turkey and onions are soft. Add the bell peppers, salt, and black pepper. Continue to cook until peppers just begin to soften. Drain off any excess oil.
- Add remaining ingredients with the exception of rice and cheese.
- Bring to a boil and add the rice. Continue to boil for 1 minute and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent the mix from sticking to the bottom of the pot. If more liquid is needed, add about 1/4 cup of water. When rice is almost tender (not quite cooked all the way) transfer mix to the prepared casserole dish.
- Top mix with cheese and bake for about 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
How did this recipe turn out for you! We’d love your feedback in the comments!