Craving something crispy and crunchy but trying to stay healthy? No need to fret, friend. Just because you’re experiencing a snack attack doesn’t mean that your healthy eating plan is about to go up in flames. Our Sweet Potato Crunchies are sure to become your new, healthy, go-to snack! Skip the high-calorie vending machine potato chips and whip up a batch of these instead! They only require two ingredients – sweet potatoes and olive oil (although you can feel free to add on a number of different spices and seasonings to satisfy your current cravings.)
Take these Sweet Potato Crunchies to the movies, work, school, or even use them atop salads and soups for a delicious crunch. These crunchies are so versatile; the sky’s the limit!
Tips for Success
This recipe is super easy to make, but we do have a few tips for keeping your frustration levels low while making it. For starters, you could certainly hand-cut the sweet potatoes into strips, but it will take a long time! Instead, we like taking a shortcut by using a julienne peeler (this one is my personal favorite). You could also use a mandoline, but we find the peeler is much safer to use and the risk of cutting yourself is significantly reduced.
Next up, once you’re ready to cook the strips, be sure to keep a close eye on them. Since they’re so thin, they can burn very easily! We like roasting them at 375 degrees F because it’s the best way to ensure the strands will crisp up. That being said, some ovens run hot, so you can reduce the heat to 350 degrees F if you’re worried. Ultimately, the best way to keep these Sweet Potato Crunchies from burning is to stir them every 10 minutes so they bake evenly.
Finally, you don’t want them to burn but you also don’t want them to become soggy! The whole point is that they’re crispy and satisfying. Make sure that they have plenty of space to breathe on the sheet pan. This will become especially important as you’re stirring them. If they’re too close together, they will steam instead of roast.
Optional Spices and Herbs
There are a number of ways to keep this crunchy snack new and exciting! Flavor your Sweet Potato Crunchies with the following herbs or spices. Simply toss them with the strips and olive oil before baking.
- Cayenne Pepper
- Curry Powder
- Black Pepper
- Kosher or sea salt
- Dried Thyme
Sweet Potato Crunchies
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for a sweeter taste use unrefined (non-hydrogented) coconut oil
- Peel sweet potato and cut into julienne strips (the easiest way is to use a julienne peeler)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add strings to a large mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Spread strings evenly over a large cookie sheet. Stir every 10 minutes and continue to bake until crispy, approximately 30 minutes. Strings will continue to get crispy after coming out of the oven. Discard any potato strings that are overly brown. Allow to cool at room temperature. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
- Eat as a snack, salad topper, or atop soup and many other side dishes.
Are you going to enjoy this crunchy snack plain, or are you going to add some spices? Either way, you’re going to adore them. Let us know your plan in the comment section below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the daily newsletter! We’ll send you all the newest recipes, workouts, meal plans, healthy living articles, and more! You can also follow us on Pinterest for more healthy snack ideas.