From cauliflower to quinoa, clean-eating alternatives to white flour pizza crust seem to be all the rave these days. But when it comes to healthier shells for the classic cheese-and-sauce duo, sweet potato crust tops the charts. This simple yet nutritious recipe spotlights the highly esteemed sweet potato, a superfood praised for its dietary fiber, antioxidant, and vitamin content. Meanwhile, the carotenoids in sweet potatoes can help deliver anti-aging benefits. But across the board, anyone will agree that the rich veggie boasts a reputation for incredible flavor!
In this pizza recipe, the sweet potato lends a subtly sweet character and is joined by nutritious ingredients and savory spices. The crust is then coated with a flavorful sauce, mouthwatering mozzarella, and complete with your favorite toppings. Finally, a recipe where you can enjoy pizza-minus the guilt!
Nutritional data was calculated using the toppings listed in the recipe. Yields: 8 slices | Serving Size: 2 slices | Calories: 394 | Total Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 558mg | Carbohydrates: 25g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 18g | SmartPoints: 13
- 2 cups cooked sweet potato
- 1 egg, whipped with a fork
- 1 cup finely grated mozzarella cheese, part-skim
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Parchment paper
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce, recommend this recipe
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup mushroom slices
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced black or green olives
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- The secret to perfect sweet potato pizza crust: Add 2 cups sweet potato to a plate and mash with a fork to remove any lumps. Using several paper towels, press on the mashed potato to remove as much liquid as possible. You should end up with about 1 1/2 cups sweet potato.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sweet potato and egg in a mixing bowl. Stir in cheese to incorporate.
- Whisk to combine dry crust ingredients, then add to sweet potato mixture, stir to combine.
- Place dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon, spread dough into a circle, approximaty 10 to 12-inches.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until crust is no longer moist in the center. If crust begins to get too brown, loosely place foil over the top, the final 5 minutes.
- Remove baking crust, add favorite toppings and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 6-8 minutes. Allow to set a few minutes before slicing.
Tried it and loved it? We welcome your feedback in the comments section!