We love this tamale casserole recipe because it is versatile and a great way to enjoy the flavors of Mexican food without the calories and fat. It is topped with moist cornbread and loaded with chicken, beans, chili, and all the flavors you love in tamale recipes. Your family will not even realize it’s a cleaned up, healthier version of a favorite! This healthy casserole recipe is not only great for a run-of-the-mill weeknight dinner, it is also perfect when you are entertaining or when you need to bring a dish to someone’s home.
Traditional tamale meals take hours prepare, but not this one. In less than an hour, you’ll have a hearty meal on the table, and you won’t even need a steamer!
Yields: 6 | Serving size: 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 257 | Total Fat: 5 gm | Saturated Fats: 2 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 4 mg | Sodium: 436 mg | Carbohydrates: 40 gm | Dietary fiber: 9 gm | Sugars: 4 gm | Protein: 12 gm | SmartPoints: 8 |
- 1 pound lean ground chicken, turkey will also work
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Chipotle Salsa, no sugar added (I used "World Table" brand Roasted Tomato Chipotle Roja Salsa, medium)
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chilis
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat (block cheese is best for shredding, as it doesn't contain all the added waxes of commercially shredded cheese)
- Cornbread Topping:
- 1 cup cornmeal (I used Hodgson Mill brand)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 egg, slightly whipped
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, add ground chicken and cook over medium heat, while breaking up chicken into small pieces. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain excess fat and add chicken to a 13" x 9" casserole dish. Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish (except cornbread topping), stir well. Make sure the mixture is evenly distributed.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt. Add egg and buttermilk, stir just until combined. Spread batter evenly over the mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and bake until cornbread is golden and casserole is heated through, approximately 25-30 minutes.
- NOTE: "World Table" Roasted Tomato Chipotle Roja Salsa can be purchased at Walmart Superstore.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.