This recipe was contributed by Alyson Heller, RD, LD at Simply Nutricising. Her blog is her expression of living a long eventful life. Nutricising (v.): engaging in healthy lifestyle behaviors that will take you to a place where you can be happy, healthy, stress free, and successful. Alyson stresses the importance of taking moments for yourself to practice nutricising to make a difference in your life and/or your community. She hopes her blog can encourage others to simply enjoy life through fitness, food, travel, and adventure!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice |Calories: 261 | Total Fat: 7.9 g | Saturated Fat: 3.5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 19 mg | Sodium: 115 mg | Carbohydrates: 35.2 g | Dietary Fiber: 4.7 g | Sugars: 2.6 g | Protein: 12.7 g | SmartPoints: 8
- Butternut squash puree:
- 2 cups of butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1 inch shapes
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled, chopped into 3-4 pieces
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Spinach Ricotta Mixture
- 4 cups of fresh spinach ( 3 big handfuls)
- 15 oz container of part skim Ricotta
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Whole grain lasagna pasta, uncooked
- (about 10 noodles)
- 1/4 cup parmesan and asiago cheese, pre mixed and shredded.
- Prep oven for 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, place the prepared (chopped or minced) butternut squash, onion, shallot, and onions. Add the sage leaves, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. Stir all the ingredients. Place on a cookie sheet and roast for 1 hour (stir every 20 minutes).
- After 1 hour, place the roasted mixture in an blender and mix until a puree.
- Pour pureed butternut squash into a bowl and stir in the nutmeg.
- In another bowl, mix the ricotta, spinach, and black pepper (easier to mix with your hands!).
- Spray your crockpot with olive oil.
- Now you are all set to start layering your lasagna!
- 1/3 of the butternut squash puree
- Lasagna: Break up the noodles to make a layer
- Another 1/3 of the butternut squash puree
- 1/2 of the spinach ricotta and a sprinkle shredded parmesan/asiago cheese
- Another lasagna layer
- The rest of the butternut squash puree
- The rest of the spinach ricotta and a sprinkle shredded parmesan/asiago cheese
- Cook lasagna for 3 hours on LOW.
***If you want to make a typical lasagna dish, you can substitute tomato sauce and/or zucchini/eggplant for the butternut squash puree!