In just 10 to 15 minutes, you can have dinner started in the slow cooker, and a delicious, healthy meal waiting for you six hours later. Turkey and quinoa stuffed peppers are packed with protein and feature fresh, healthy vegetables. This recipe has plenty of flavor and is hearty enough to satisfy even the biggest of appetites. Quinoa recipes may be viewed as reserved only for dieters, but this healthy quinoa recipe blasts the idea that dieters only eat rabbit food!
Finding delicious, healthy recipes is a challenge for everyone. Many healthy recipes are time consuming and complicated, so many people opt for something unhealthy and simple. At times, even the quickest made-from-scratch recipes are not quick enough and many of us turn to fast food. Instead of sacrificing your diet and health goals, whip up a few healthy meals in advance and have them ready to go on the busiest of nights.
In search of other healthy recipes? We can help. Follow up your meal of stuffed peppers with one of our Healthy Dessert Recipes.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper | Calories: 294 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 90 mg | Sodium: 145 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 26 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed (white or red will work...white was used in this recipe)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (whole wheat panko was used in this recipe...Gluten free panko works as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (used in this recipes was 93% lean with a mixture of white and dark meat...all breast can be used)
- 6 bell peppers, slice away tops, scoop out seeds and membrane (we used 2 yellow, 2 red, 1 orange and 1 green...use your favorite colors)
- 1 (24 ounce) marinara sauce, no sugar added (used in this recipe, 'Lucini Rustic Tomato Basil Sauce')
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the first nine ingredients. Add 1/3 cup of parmesan, egg, tomato paste and ground turkey, mix well. Using the turkey mixture, evenly stuff the peppers and place side by side in 4-6 quart slow cooker. Pour marinara over peppers, add water to the marinara jar, swirl around and pour around the peppers. Cover and cook on low 6 hours.
- Carefully remove peppers from slow cooker, place on plates and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.