We love using the grill whenever we can. It adds so much flavor and doesn’t require any oil for sauteing. This Turkey Burger with Avocado Relish recipe will provide the perfect motivation to get out your tongs and head to the backyard. They’re loaded with fresh ingredients — avocado, cilantro, and baby arugula. You won’t miss the typical, fatty beef burger when you sink your teeth into this.
Yields: 6 turkey burgers | Serving Size: 1 burger, 1 T reslish, and 1 bun | Calories: 352 | Total Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 435mg | Carbohydrates: 27g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 23g | SmartPoints: 10
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 6 slider whole grain buns or small rolls
- 3 slices low-fat Monterey Jack cheese, cut in half
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Lightly oil and heat grill to medium heat.
- In small bowl, mix turkey, cayenne, paprika, and salt. Form into 6 patties Press thumb in center of patties so the burger will not bulge in the middle. Place on grill and grill each side approximately 6 minutes or until no pink remains in the center.
- For the avocado relish, lightly mash avocado with onion, jalapeño, lime juice, and cilantro. The avocado mixture should be creamy but slightly lumpy.
- To assemble, place burger on bun. Top with 1/2 cheese slice, avocado relish, and arugula. Serve.
Adapted from Bobby Flay.