Enjoy Kale Burgers the traditional way with all the trimmings, or all by themselves. They’re delicious either way.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 235 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 40 g | Sodium: 117 mg | Dietary Fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 11 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3
- 1 bunch curly kale, remove from center stem, chop into small pieces (use a food processor if available)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 eggs whites
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (recipe for homemade bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used White Whole Wheat which is not enriched), plus more if needed
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to a medium skillet, heat to medium, sauté onion and carrots until tender, about 4 minutes. Add finely chopped kale and sauté until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried thyme and salt, sauté one additional minute.
- Rinse skillet and add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Add all ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Shape into 4 patties.
- Tip: Add additional flour one teaspoon at a time, if needed to hold mixture together.
- Heat skillet to medium heat, add patties and cook until browned on both sides, approximately 6 minutes per side.
- NOTE: This recipe can also be made into meatless meatballs.