When pursuing a healthy lifestyle, you might not think burgers deserve a spot on your weekly meal plan. And sure- burgers are typically known for being cheap, hand-held meals you order at the drive through, not praised for their nutritional profiles.
With a few tweaks, however, it’s simple to give the classic fast food fare a healthified makeover! This recipe spotlights lean ground turkey- a low calorie alternative to beef that still packs a major protein punch! These burgers also incorporate tasty ingredients your body will love, like chewy sun-dried tomatoes and low-fat feta.
Juicy and flavorful, these turkey burgers make a great addition to a summer barbeque. Not to mention, they clock in at just 185 calories- allowing you to satisfy all your burger cravings without worrying about your waistline! For a little extra heat, try spicing up burgers with a pinch of cayenne pepper. Yum!
Serving Size: 1 burger patty | Calories: 238 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fats: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 | Cholesterol: 101 mg | Sodium: 267 mg | Total Carbohydrates: 5 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 25 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2 |
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (if using 99% lean turkey breasts, recommend using sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil)
- 1/2 cup low-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced chives or green onions
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and make into 4 patties. Recommend outdoor grilling or using a George Foreman type grill. Top burgers with your favorite condiments.
- Note: Patties can be made ahead of time and frozen.