This turkey pasta bolognese recipe is a simple reminder that good food doesn’t need to be complicated or use expensive ingredients. In fact, sometimes the most basic, everyday ingredients make the most satisfying meals. In true Italian style, this recipe is so simple that it’s really worth searching out highest quality ingredients. When you buy local and fresh, your carrots will really taste of carrot.
This well-balanced turkey pasta bolognese recipe is not only a delight to make, but it’s also guilt-free. Swapping in ground turkey your usual ground beef reduces the fat content without sacrificing flavor. As you carefully sweat the vegetables, bubble the beef broth, and season (always tasting as you go), you’ll fall in love with the recipe before you even finish it. This turkey pasta bolognese recipe is healthy in other ways, too. We use heart-healthy olive oil, and its base of celery and carrot will provide your body with vitamins A and K. And, of you’re looking to up the up your intake of complex carbohydrates, make this dish with whole-grain pasta.
Turn a Simple Dish into Date Night
Turkey Pasta Bolognese
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced fine
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced fine
- 2 large stalks celery diced fine
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne or spaghetti cooked al dente according to package directions
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and ground turkey, breaking up meat into small pieces as it cooks. Cook until onions and garlic are soft, and meat is almost cooked through.
- Add tomato paste and italian seasoning and combine, cooking until tomato paste is a copper color.
- Pour in red wine and combine. Reduce heat and simmer until wine is almost absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup beef broth and cook until almost absorbed.
- Add additional 1/2 cup of beef broth and stir, adding salt & pepper.
- Simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve over prepared pasta.
Looking for more recipe inspiration before you write your weekly shopping list? We love Pinterest! Come gaze at endless pictures of food with us… You might even find some more great turkey recipes like this Southwestern Stuffed Zucchini and this Green Turkey Chili Soup.