The perfect meal for a cold winter night!
Shepherd’s pie is warm, hearty, and comforting. It’s traditionally made with ground beef. However, our version uses turkey instead, which makes it lighter and leaner, but just as filling. This Turkey Shepherd’s Pie also uses a combination of sweet potatoes and white potatoes to give you some extra fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin A. This twist adds an extra level of flavor as well as health benefits you can boast about! Like most casserole dishes, this recipe is super easy and convenient. It’s a great way to use up leftover turkey and veggies. It reheats well, so you can even freeze a few portions, so you have a healthy meal ready to heat up on busy nights. There’s something here for everyone to love!
Turkey Shepherd's Pie
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion medium, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 celery stalks diced small
- 1 carrot medium, diced small
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups boneless and skinless turkey breasts or chicken, cooked and shredded (leftovers work great!)
- 1 cup turkey gravy or chicken gravy
- 1 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 2 cups potatoes mashed
- 1 cup sweet potatoes mashed
- 3 egg whites lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In medium skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Cook until onions are translucent. The carrots may still be crunchy. Add peas, salt, turkey, gravy, rosemary, oregano, and sage. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine both potatoes, egg whites, and parsley, Mix well. Drop by spoon fulls on top of turkey mix. Using a spoon, spread as evenly as possible over the turkey. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until top begins to brown. Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms