This is a great dish for any night of the week, and it's especially great as a meatless meal.
Our Veggie Lasagna Rolls are a great addition to any Italian dinner night. We’ve stuffed a whole crop of vegetables into our rolls, so the nutritional value is over the top. Then, we used whole wheat lasagna noodles, and cut back on the fat and calories by using low fat cheeses. We added herbs and spices for Italian flavor, and rolled it all up in a neat little package.
This is a great dish for any night of the week, and it’s especially great as a meatless meal. Just be prepared, because there might not be any leftovers!
Veggie Lasagna Rolls
- 24 ounces marinara sauce jar, no sugar added
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion medium, sliced
- 1 head broccoli top minced
- 1 cup mushrooms minced
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese low-fat
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese part-skim, shredded
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese low-fat, small curd if possible
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon oregano fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil fresh, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 whole-wheat lasagna noodles cooked to al dente (about 8 minutes), well drained
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 13" x 9" x 2" casserole dish with nonstick spray and spread 1-1/4 cups of marinara on the bottom of the dish.
- In a large skillet, add oil and heat on medium-low. Sauté onion until onions are soft and begin to brown. Add broccoli, mushrooms, and pinch of salt. Mushrooms will begin to release water, so cook until this water evaporates, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and kale, and sauté until kale is wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, cottage cheese, egg white, oregano, basil, and pepper.
- On a work surface lined with parchment paper, arrange lasagna noodles flat, add 1/4 cup cheese mix, spread evenly to cover noodles. On top of the cheese, evenly spread 1/4 cup of cooked vegetables.
- Start rolling the noodle at the end closest to you. Place lasagna rolls seam side down, not quite touching, in the prepared casserole dish. Evenly spread 1 cup marinara over rolls, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes, or until cheese is hot and bubbly. If desired, serve rolls with additional heated marinara.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Tried it and loved it? We’d love your feedback! Let us know in the comments!