Add major flavor to your delicate white fish!
It’s summer. It’s hot. You want something light and zesty with perhaps a taste of the sea. Try the Skinny Ms. White Fish with Tomato and Peas recipe! Grab the fish of your choice – perhaps some haddock, cod, hake, or sole fillets, and get ready for a simple, healthy meal with a complex and satisfying flavor. This just might become your go-to summer white fish recipe. Give it a whirl tonight!
Sure, you know all about the health benefits of fish like wild salmon, mackerel, and tuna. But white fish is often relegated to fried fish and chips meals at restaurants, or to the children’s menu, in the form of fish sticks. But white fish is a nutritional powerhouse. It’s abundance of omega-3 fatty acids contributes to heart health, lowered cholesterol, and weight loss. Plus, its mellow and delicate flavor make it a favorite of adults and kids alike.
All you need to add to your fish of choice are some peas, onions, tomatoes, and vegetable stock. A little salt, pepper, garlic, white wine, and olive oil will seal the deal. Just coat the fish in oil and then brown, season, saute. 10 to 15 minutes later, you’ll have an aromatic taste sensation to share with the sure-to-be-growing crowds of curious onlookers brought to your kitchen door by the enticing wafts of tomato and spice. Like the picture we’ve painted? Go ahead, clime inside and make it your own! We’ll provide the recipe and inspiration. You just bring the FUN.
White Fish with Tomato and Peas
- 24 ounces cod fillets or haddock or sole (4 fillets)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 cups peas frozen
- 2 tomatoes medium-sized, sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup basil leaves torn, for garnish (optional)
- Take the fish out of the fridge and let it get to room temperature on the countertop. This may take 10- 20 minutes, depending on how cold the fillets are to start with.
- Oil the fish on both sides with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper on both sides of all 4 fillets.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the fish and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Fish should brown on both sides. Remove the fish from the pan and cover to keep warm. Do not turn off the heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, peas, and tomatoes while the pan is still hot. Saute the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are most of the way cooked through.
- Add the wine and let the alcohol evaporate, for about two minutes.
- Add in the vegetable stock and cook for 4 additional minutes for the broth to cook down a bit.
- Serve fish over the vegetables on individual plates or a serving platter.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more Skinny Ms., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!