A classic cajun dish with a citrusy twist.
No grill? No problem! Our stove top recipe for zesty blackened chicken is the perfect summer grilling alternative that can be made indoors. This Cajun classic is high in protein and exceptional flavor– due to our homemade citrusy seasoning blend. I keep some on hand all summer long to ensure that I hit my protein goals. Throw it on top of a salad, shred it up to make a wrap, or enjoy it with a side of roasted veggies! Hello, new summer favorite!
The Origins of Blackened Chicken
Blackened chicken is a classic Cajun dish where the meat is given its dark black color from cooking it over dry heat heat with butter and seasonings. Our recipe pays tribute to the original, while adding a citrusy twist from fresh lime juice and zest. You can also use lemon if that’s what you have on hand!
The Zesty Seasoning Blend
We’ve blended the classic flavors of cumin, sweet and smoked paprika, chili, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to spice up this blackened chicken. We then marinate it with lime juice and lime zest for a fresh, summery finish. Serve it up with a lime wedge for some extra flare!
Pairs Well With…
This zesty blackened chicken is the perfect, high protein entree to enjoy on warm weather evenings. Serve it up with a side of Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Spicy Charred Corn, Easy Garlic and Lemon Green Beans, Quick and Easy Roasted Veggie Kebabs or even one of our Salad recipes.
Mix and match this chicken with some of our other Summer Dinner Recipes to create the perfect, warm weather menu plan!
How to Make It
Cook up this zesty blackened chicken for dinner tonight! Start by melting one tablespoon of butter. Then, mix it with the lime juice, lime zest, and all of the seasonings. Coat the chicken breast fillets in the spice mixture, cover, and let it marinate in the fridge for at least half an hour. Then, place the other tablespoon of butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 8 minutes, or until it’s cooked through and each side is nice and blackened. Remove the chicken from the heat and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Then, serve this zesty blackened chicken with your desired side! Oh, and don’t forget to garnish it with a fresh a lime wedge! Enjoy!
Zesty Blackened Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast 4 fillets, boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 lime in wedges
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter, then mix with the lime juice, zest, and seasonings.
- Cover the chicken breast fillets with the spice mixture and let marinate for about half an hour.
- Add the other tablespoon of butter to a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 8 minutes or until fully cooked through and each side nice and dark.
- Remove from heat, let rest for 5-10 minutes, and slice. Serve each fillet with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Remember to head on over to Pinterest and give us a follow so you never miss out on a fast and healthy recipe! You can subscribe to our daily eNewsletter, too, to get the latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox.