If you’re looking for a healthy way to have your pasta and eat it, too, this zucchini noodles recipe is the perfect answer! Raw zucchini is cut into “zoodles” or zucchini spaghetti. These zucchini noodles are then served topped with an absolutely delicious creamy red pepper sauce. If you don’t already have a julienne peeler or spiral slicer, you’ll need one for this recipe. Either tool will work, but both are needed to cut the zucchini into long, noodle-like strips. Plus, you’ll be able to create a number of “spaghetti” dishes using vegetables such as leeks and squash in the future, once you own this versatile tool.
If you find yourself craving spaghetti on a regular basis, or have a house full of kids who demand it for dinner, this recipe provides you with a great way to serve spaghetti that’s made with antioxidant- and vitamin-rich zucchini and lacks the refined carbohydrates of white pasta noodles.
Plus, can you dream up a more delicious pasta sauce than this one? Red peppers are rich in antioxidants, and their earthy, spicy flavor pairs perfectly with creamy, scrumptious goat cheese. Add pine nuts, with their tasty Mediterranean flavor and crunch, and you’ve got a weeknight winner. Basil leaves and garlic give this dish an unmistakeable Italian flair, which is sure to please a crowd, or a dinner for one! Once you’ve sliced the zucchini, the sauce comes together quickly, and you’ve got a healthy meal that’s hard not to gobble up.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups plus sauce | Calories: 200 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 7 mg | Sodium: 66 mg | Carbohydrates: 14 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints: 8
- 4 small zucchini, spiralized or julienned *note that you can also julienne by hand by cutting planks lengthwise and then cutting the zucchini into thin strips like noodles
- 2-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 large roasted red peppers
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the noodles and salt lightly. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until noodles soften. Remove the noodles from the pan.
- In a blender, puree the red peppers, garlic, olive oil, and goat cheese. Add the sauce to the pan over medium heat, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until hot. Add the noodles and toss to coat. Season to taste. Serve garnished with basil and toasted pine nuts.
- *Pine nuts can be toasted in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden and fragrant.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.