Make the most of your summer months and gather family and friends around the grill! A summer barbeque is a great way to enjoy being outside and here are some lip-smacking recipes that will get you excited about cooking outdoors this year. Here are some of the top low-calorie burger recipes, perfect for summer entertaining and BBQ.
Garlic Mayonnaise Turkey Burgers – Healthy Burgers With Zesty Mayo
- 1/4 cup no sugar added mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 lb ground lean turkey breast
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 4 whole wheat burger buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 tomato slices
Preparation: Heat grill. In small bowl, mix mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic. Cover; refrigerate until serving time. Combine turkey, oats, soy sauce, seasoning blend, onion and egg white in a medium-sized bowl until well mixed. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Place patties on grill. Cook uncovered over medium heat about 15 minutes, turning once, until cooked to your preference. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on bottom of each bun. Place burgers over mayonnaise; top with lettuce, tomatoes and top of bun.
Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Avocado – Try this delightful meatless burger recipe!
- 2 cans cannellini white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp agave syrup or honey
- 1 tsp low-sodium lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- Additional seasoning: cayenne, black pepper, salt to taste
- 1 scoop of nutritional yeast
- 1 large sliced avocado
Preparation: Bake sweet potatoes then peel them and place in a large mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together, then add flour and additional seasoning. Mixture will be quite soft and moist but you should be able to form a patty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs or dry quinoa to thicken the mixture if needed. Heat 1 Tbsp safflower oil in a pan over high heat. Form a patty from mixture and coat in Panko crumbs then drop the patty into frying pan or lightly greased baking pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on both sides. If baking, use less Panko. Transfer cooked patties to paper towel. Allow to cool, and serve on toasted bun with avocado and other toppings.
Beet and Black Bean Burgers – A New Spin on a Classic Low Calorie Burger Recipe with Quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked, rinsed Quinoa grain
- 1 medium sized white onion, diced
- 3 large red beets, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs cider vinegar
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs parsley, minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp whole wheat flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 thin slice of provolone cheese, reduced fat
Preparation: Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion and reduce heat to medium. Cook until onions are translucent and soft. Stir in beets. Cover and cook until beets are tender, then add garlic. Recover for about 1 minute. Deglaze the pan using the cider vinegar. Add black beans into large bowl and mash them with fork, or potato masher. Add Quinoa, beet and onion mixture, juice from 1 lemon, olive oil and all spices. Stir to combine and then add flour. Heat cast-iron skillet over high heat, and add 2 tbs olive oil, until the bottom of the pan is coated. Shape mixture into size and shape desired, and set in pan. Reduce to medium-high heat. Cook until crust forms on the edges (about 2 minutes), then flip. Serve with soft buns, on toasted bread with fresh greens and vegetables.