by Skinny Ms.
Note: The fat in this recipe comes primarily from the pecans and coconut milk, all healthy fats. To reduce the fat and calories, omit the pecans and use all low-fat milk in place of coconut milk.
Yields: 14 servings | Serving size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 269 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fats: 6 g | Previous Points: 6 | Points Plus: 8 |Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 24 mg | Sodium: 60 mg | Carbohydrates: 32 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 19 g | Protein: 8 g
- 8 cups whole wheat bread crumbs, torn into 1" cubes (whole wheat French bread was used in this reicpe)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Chips are gluten, soy and dairy free)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut palm sugar syrup, optional sucanat or Wild Flower honey
- 1 cup diced pecans
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk, optional almond milk or low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Caramel Sauce
- 1/3 cup unrefined coconut palm sugar, optional, 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Lightly mist the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
Add bread cubes to the slow cooker. In a medium mixing bowl, combine chocolate chips, cocoa, coconut palm sugar, 3/4 cup pecans and salt. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined. Pour mixture over bread and stir until all bread is moist. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup pecans on top, cover and cook on low 3 hours. Recommend 5-7 quart slow cooker.
Caramel Sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine coconut palm sugar and cornstarch. Add milk and cook over medium-low heat, or until desired thickness. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir to combine. Drizzle sauce over warm bread pudding, about one tablespoon per serving.
On a tight budget? Here's how to save some money when making this recipe:
- A loaf of Whole Wheat French bread can be purchased at most Walmart bakeries for about .99
- Use all low-fat milk in place of coconut milk or almond milk
- Purchase your grocery store's chocolate chips brand
- Omit pecans or use a less expensive nut