If you can spare 15 minutes then you have enough time to prepare this yummy casserole the whole family will enjoy!
Yields: 6 | Serving size: 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 257 | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Total Fat: 5 gm | Saturated Fats: 2 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 4 mg | Sodium: 436 mg | Carbohydrates: 40 gm | Dietary fiber: 9 gm | Sugars: 4 gm | Protein: 12 gm
- 1 pound lean ground chicken, turkey will also work
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Chipotle Salsa, no sugar added (I used "World Table" brand Roasted Tomato Chipotle Roja Salsa, medium)
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chilis
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat (block cheese is best for shredding, as it doesn't contain all the added waxes of commercially shredded cheese)
- Cornbread Topping:
- 1 cup cornmeal (I used Hodgson Mill brand)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 egg, slightly whipped
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large skillet, add ground chicken and cook over medium heat, while breaking up chicken into small pieces. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain excess fat and add chicken to a 13" x 9" casserole dish. Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish (except cornbread topping), stir well. Make sure the mixture is evenly distributed.
In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt. Add egg and buttermilk, stir just until combined. Spread batter evenly over the mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and bake until cornbread is golden and casserole is heated through, approximately 25-30 minutes.
NOTE: "World Table" Roasted Tomato Chipotle Roja Salsa can be purchased at Walmart Superstore.