Quick, easy, healthy, and inexpensive. What more could you ask for?
If you’re looking for a quick, easy, and inexpensive side dish, look no further than these Parmesan Roasted Potatoes. They take fewer than 30 minutes to make, and they only require four ingredients! You likely have everything you need in the pantry to make this healthy vegetable side dish happen: potatoes, olive oil, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. How easy is that?
By following a boiling-then-roasting cooking technique, this recipe makes certain that each baby potato is crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. We’ll talk more about why this cooking technique works in a minute, but first let’s talk about choosing a potato. If you can find baby potatoes that are an inch or so around, you won’t need to chop them at all for this recipe. The skins are also tender (and contain a ton of nutrients), so no need to peel them either! If you can only find full-sized Yukon gold or red potatoes, feel free to chop them into 1-inch pieces. You will want to avoid russet or Idaho potatoes, though, as they are too starchy to work for this recipe.
Making Perfect Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Many potato recipes call for roasting potatoes in a high-temperature oven OR boiling them on the stovetop. You might notice that these Parmesan Roasted Potatoes calls for both! Why should you take the time to boil the potatoes before roasting them? It’s all about texture.
You see, potatoes are a starchy root vegetable. Those starches break down as they cook and can either turn the potatoes gummy or create a caramelized flavor. Boiling the potatoes first ensures that you get the latter, by removing some of the excess starches. That way, when you roast them in a 450 degree F oven, the starches that remain will turn sweet in flavor and golden brown in color.
Boiling first also helps all of the potatoes to cook in the 10 minute roasting time period. By boiling them for 10 to 15 minutes, you essentially par-bake them and ensure that the insides are soft while the outsides are crispy and delicious!
4-Ingredient Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- 1 pound baby potatoes red, yellow, purple, or a mix will work fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place in a single layer on a baking pan. Using the bottom of a heavy glass (or similar item) gently smash each potato just until the potato begins to flatten. If the potatoes are too smashed they will stick to the pan.
- Drizzle potatoes with the olive oil and garlic powder. Roast for 10 minutes or just until the edges of the potatoes begin to brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle parmesan over top.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms