I’ve been thinking a lot these days about what makes a meal satisfying. For a long time, I would have told you it was the meat. Protein-rich meat is a great way to fill up and stay full for hours, so you need to have meat with every meal, right? Wrong! This 5-Ingredient Sweet Potato Panini recipe completely changed my mind. This vegetarian sandwich is satisfying in every way. The sweet potato steak has a sweet flavor with a meaty texture while the shredded beets bring a perfect crunch and earthy flavor to the dish. Finish it off with some salty feta cheese and you have everything you need!
So Many Reasons to Love Sweet Potatoes
We already fell in love with sweet potatoes as a breakfast hash and as a substitute for white potatoes in stuffed potato skin recipes. So, why not slice them into 1/4-inch rounds and roast them in a hot, 425-degree oven, and use them in a vegetarian Sweet Potato Panini? You’ll be amazed by how much you love the texture and flavor of this “steak” on your sandwich!
Plus, sweet potatoes are chock full of so much nutrition! You’ll get more than your daily dose of beta-carotene (vitamin A) along with a healthy serving of vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin B6. Plus, they’re also full of plant-based protein and fiber, which is why you feel full after eating this Sweet Potato Panini (and stay that way for hours afterward).
Add in the beneficial complex carbohydrates of the whole-wheat bun and fiber, folate, and vitamin C from the beets and you have a real winner! It doesn’t hurt that this vegetarian Sweet Potato Panini looks gorgeous, too: combine a tan bun with a bright orange steak, vibrant purple beets, and white feta cheese for contrast. All in a 400 calorie package!
Yield: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1 panini | Calories: 413 | Total Fat: 17 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Carbohydrates: 52 g | Fiber: 5 g | Sugar: 9 g | Protein: 13 g | Cholesterol: 33 mg | Sodium: 731 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 13
- 1 large sweet potato and cut into circles, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 whole wheat kaiser roll buns
- 1 medium beet, peeled and coarsly shredded
- 1/2 cup fat-free feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread the sweet potatoes in an even layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and change the oven temperature to high broil.
- Place the open kaiser roll buns on a clean baking sheet, sliced side of the bun facing up. Layer the sweet potatoes on the bottom buns, top with the beet, and finally place the feta cheese on top of the beets - making sure to divide each ingredient evenly between the bottom buns.
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until the sliced side of the top bun and feta lightly begins to brown. Remove from oven and place the top bun on each panini and serve hot.
We have plenty more vegetarian recipes where this came from! Follow us on Pinterest to browse them all.