The classic game day snack gets a healthy makeover!
It’s football season, and you know what that means … SNACKS. Okay, that’s what it means for my family anyway. I’ll be honest, I’m not really a huge sports gal myself. I’ve tried to follow a game before, but I honestly just can’t get into it. But you can bet I will have my butt in a chair in front of the TV for every game this year, if only for one reason. Yes, that reason is game day snacks. (I also don’t mind wearing the cute jerseys.)
Game day snacks are a delicious combination of the best in comfort food and party food. From popcorn and snack mix to nachos and wings, it’s a full spread of all the food drunk you have ever craved after a night out. Potato skins are a classic game day staple. Warm, cheesy and loaded with toppings, they check all the boxes. With these skinny cheesy chicken sweet potato skins, you can enjoy this game day staple guilt-free.
Game Day Made Healthy
As I’ve mentioned, I’m a big snacker. So no matter where I am in my fitness goals, snacking is never something I’m willing to give up. Yes, believe it or not, there are healthy ways to include snacks into any health and fitness plan. ‘
Of course, this can make a traditional game day spread both a blessing and curse for me. Yes, being surrounded by the best of all things snacky is my personal heaven. But my diet does not always happen to agree.
It’s a balance, like anything, and finding healthier alternatives to my favorite game day snacks has been a crucial part of that balance. When I’m hosting, I’ll try to put out a full spread of these secretly slimmed-down options. If I’m attending someone else’s get together, I’ll offer to bring something for the table. It’s polite, of course, and it also ensures that I’ll have a healthy option to reach for amidst a sea of cheesy nachos and sticky wings.
These skinny chicken sweet potato skins are the perfect game day recipe. This recipe ditches white potatoes in favor of sweet ones, which cuts calories AND adds some unique flavor you’ll actually love. Meanwhile, healthy, low-fat mozzarella gives these potato skins all the melty cheesiness you could dream of. Finally, this healthy snack gets the rest of its rich flavor from simple, clean ingredients like oregano, cumin, chili powder, baby spinach, and lime juice.
Bursting with rich, zesty flavors and warm, melty cheese, you’d seriously never know these potato skins are secretly skinny. Whip them up for your next game day get together and get ready to kick off a season of guilt-free snacking.
Skinny Cheesy Chicken Sweet Potato Skins
- 2 sweet potatoes large, baked and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup boneless and skinless chicken breast shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups baby spinach fresh
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese fat-free, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Scoop out the center of the sweet potatoes into a bowl and create a boat with the sweet potato skins. Leave some potato around the edges to help the boat hold it's shape. Place the boats onto the baking sheet.
- Mash the sweet potato centers and stir in the chicken, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Once hot add the garlic, lime juice, and spinach. Cook just until the spinach is wilted and stir into the potato mixture. Once mixed, spoon the mixture into the potato skin boats and top with the cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Cut each boat into four pieces and top with the cilantro. Serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
You might also like these Tailgating Recipes!