Work out by the seashore!
Pack up a towel and your favorite suit because we’re bringing your next workout to one of our much-loved summer hangouts, the beach! Now, there’s no excuse to forego your usual fitness routine in exchange for an afternoon lounging on the sand because the beach offers plenty of opportunities to get your workout on and have fun in the sun. The best beach fitness workouts target your entire body. These 7 beach exercises will give you a burn that’s okay to get in the sun.
Equipment Needed: Water for hydration, a heart monitor, and an interval timer
What to Do: Read each workout below and follow the instruction provided. Be sure to check out the videos below to ensure that you are using the correct form for each exercise.
1. Interval Sprints – Set up 2 markers about 50-100 yards apart from each other. Sprint from one marker to the other. Walk back to the first marker, and start again. Aim for 10-20 minutes of intervals.
2. Walking Lunges – Start by standing with your feet together and your hands on your hips. Lunge forward with your right foot, keeping your spine straight, until your right knee forms a 90-degree angle. Push into your right heel, while straightening your knee and bring your left leg forward. Aim for 3 sets of 10-12 reps per leg.
3. Planks – Begin in a plank pose with your forearms and toes on the floor. Keep your spine straight and your body rigid. Hold for 30-60 seconds, and there is a variation shown in the video depending on your fitness level.
4. Squats – Stand with your legs hip-distance apart and your arms out in front of you. Slowly bend your knees, while keeping your neck in line with your hips, until you are in a sitting position. Hold for a count before straightening your legs and returning to starting position. Aim for 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions.
5. Sand Skipping – What can make you want to skip more than an afternoon at the beach?! This sand skipping exercise can help you channel your joy into a fat burning workout. Skip through the deep, dry sand for 50 yards, walk back, and skip again.
6. Crab Walks– When in Rome, act like the Romans do. When at the beach, act like the crabs. Start by sitting with your feet flat on the sand and your hands behind you. Push up onto the palms of your hands, so that your bottom is off the ground. Alternate stepping with your right foot/right hand, left foot/left hand. Not only will you have some fun, but you’ll also be getting a great workout!
7. Push-Ups– One of the best things about this time-honored exercise is that it can be done virtually anywhere. Be sure to keep your spine straight and avoid sagging around the middle.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms….
Does your fitness program need a jumpstart? Try our 6 Week Emergency Makeover Program.
Have you just started a new exercise program or challenge? We’d love to hear about it. Leave a comment below.