Flaky, crunchy, and sweet, this is the perfect Insta-worthy dessert!
Most desserts taste amazing, but visually, there’s nothing super special about most of them. Once you’ve seen one brownie, cookie, or slice of pie, you’ve pretty much seen them all. Not only do our apple cream cheese tarts taste incredible, but they will wow your guests before they even take their first bite!
The Picture Perfect Treat
The eye-catching presentation makes these pastries perfect for a special occasion, brunch spread, or even just your Instagram. And don’t worry, the intricate, rose petal inspired shape is much easier than it looks! Bake up a quick batch of these apple cream cheese tarts for your next get together and leave your guests wondering how you did it!
Healthy Swaps and Complementary Flavors
Swapping typical baking ingredients for lower calorie or more nutritious options is a great way to make any treat better for you! Fat-free cream cheese, whole-wheat puff pastry, and, of course, apples, keep this treat as light as it is tasty. Meanwhile, coconut sugar lends this pastry the sweetness it needs, while sparing you the blood sugar spike you don’t. The combination of droolworthy flavors make this tart recipe a hit with people of all ages!
How to Make these Apple Cream Cheese Tarts
In total, this recipe requires less than 10 ingredients and takes just one hour from start to finish. Begin by preheating the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Lightly spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and set it aside.
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced apples and lemon juice, and saute them for about five minutes. Remove the apples from the heat, pat them dry, and then set them aside.
Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4 equal strips. You should have 8 strips total. Spread the cream cheese onto each strip and sprinkle with the coconut sugar. Next, top the strips with the apple mixture and then fold them in half lengthwise before rolling them into a cinnamon roll type shape. Place each roll into a muffin cup, spiral side facing up.
Combine the cinnamon and honey. Using a pastry brush, lightly glaze the top of each tart. Then, bake the apple cream cheese tarts for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow them to cool slightly before enjoying (but you can photograph them right away!)
Apple Cream Cheese Tarts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 apple large, peeled, core removed, and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 sheets whole-wheat puff pastry
- 1/4 cup cream cheese fat-free, softened
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the apples and lemon juice, and saute for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, pat dry, and set aside.
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4 equal strips (you should have 8 strips total). Spread the cream cheese onto each strip and sprinkle with the sugar. Top with the apple and lemon juice mixture. Fold each strip in half lengthwise and roll them into a cinnamon roll type shape. Place each roll into a muffin cup, spiral side facing up.
- Combine the cinnamon and honey, and lightly glaze the top of each tart using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What did you think of these apple cream cheese tarts? If you try them, be sure to let us know what you thought in the comment section.
You might also like to try our clean-eating apple pecan crumble.