Take your apple pie on the go with these Apple Pie Cinnamon Cookies!
Nothing welcomes the holiday season better than a warm slice of mouthwatering apple pie. Why not enjoy those flavors in bite-size form? Here at Skinny Ms., we’ve created an apple pie-themed cookie, perfect for bakers on the go! This recipe adds buttery, flaky cookie dough to a cinnamon-apple filling that’ll send your taste buds straight to heaven. Plus, you can enjoy these cookies guilt-free! Ingredients like coconut sugar and whole-wheat pie crusts ensure this treat won’t wreak havoc on your diet.
These cookies will hit the spot at holiday parties and family gatherings. And since they’re so easy to make, you’ll want to keep your cookie jar stocked at home, too. Happy holidays!
Apple Pie Cinnamon Cookies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 apples large (any variety), peeled and sliced into small chunks
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 whole-wheat pie crusts 9 inch (pre-made will work great!)
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the apples and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Remove pie crusts and let sit for about 15 minutes to allow the crust to soften. Unroll the crusts onto a flat surface. Using a circle cutter, (about 2.75 inches in diameter) cut circles out of one crust, about 14 circles. You can re-roll the scraps to make more circles if desired. Cut the second crust into strips about 1/4 inch wide.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of pie filling on each circle (you may have some leftover). Place the strips of pastry on top and weave them on top of each circle to create a lattice or crisscross pattern. Using the same circle cutter used earlier, cut away any excess dough on the edges. Last, use a fork and press the tongs around the edges to seal the dough pieces together and create a "crust".
- Brush the tops of each cookie with the egg white and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve warm or cold, store refrigerated in an airtight container.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.