Rich, buttery avocado teams up with tender chicken in this satisfying wrap! Simple and scrumptious, this avocado & chicken wrap recipe is your go-to on busy days. Delicious ingredients like juicy tomatoes, chopped avocado, and lettuce pile onto whole-wheat wraps. Refried beans pack a healthy dose of protein and fiber. Paired with chicken, beans truly boost the recipe’s ability to satisfy.
Complete with green onions and a splash of lime, these tortillas offer a host of flavors and textures to keep your taste buds stimulated. Top with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for a tasty finish minus the excess calories. For a light lunch or dinner, look no further than this rockin’ recipe!
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 238 | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 499mg | Carbohydrates: 23g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints: 7
- 2 chicken breast, on the bone
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teasoon chili powder
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 cups chopped bibb lettuce, optional romaine heart
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa, no sugar added
- 8 (8-inch), whole grain tortillas (recipe for homemade tortillas)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel. Brush chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and chili powder. Place in an oven-safe pan, cover, and bake 1 hour, or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Remove chicken from the oven and allow to cool until it can be handled. Remove skin and discard.
- Remove chicken from the bone and shred into strips, using a fork or hands.
- While the chicken is cooling mash with a fork, chopped avocado, remaining salt and pepper, and lime juice. Pour refried beans into a saucepan, place over medium-low heat and cook just until hot.
- Warm tortillas on a dry skillet over medium heat, for about one minute per side, or just until warmed through. Spread over warm tortillas, equal amounts of refried beans, salsa, lettuce, shredded chicken pieces, tomatoes, and scallions. Top each with mashed avocado mixture. Tuck the end under and roll each wrap to serve. Enjoy!
- Optional toppings: Green yogurt or sour cream, grated cheddar cheese.
We need your feedback! Leave a comment below about this article or anything else on the site.