We have all intense carbohydrate cravings every once in awhile. It’s so hard to resist temptation when it comes in the form of muffins, pastries, and other baked snacks! But many takeout muffins and bakery goods, as well as those we purchase at our local supermarket, are loaded with refined, white flour, sugar, and other ingredients that send our blood sugar through the roof and leave us feeling depleted an hour later. Not to mention the fat and calorie count in many delicious baked goodies!
Here’s where our healthy, scrumptious Banana-Walnut Bran Muffins come in. This muffin recipe is made with whole wheat flour and wheat bran, these muffins contain enough dietary fiber to keep your blood sugar stable and your energy solid throughout the morning. Plus, coconut sugar is an excellent substitute for refined white cane sugar. And each of these muffins contain a healthy dose of protein from egg whites and Greek yogurt. This lean protein allows you to watch your waistline and maintain muscle, as well as keeping your energy levels stable.
Not an accomplished baker? No problem! This bran muffin recipe includes ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery, and only takes a few simple steps. As long as you have a mixing bowl and a muffin tin, you’ll be able to whip up enough of these banana walnut muffins to provide you with tasty snacks all week long.
Yields: 14 muffins | Serving Size: 1 muffin | Calories: 230 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 9 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 28 mg | Sodium: 91 mg | Carbohydrates: 28 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10 |
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups wheat bran
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs, whipped
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, fat-free
- 1/2 cup molasses (optional sorghum or honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add paper muffin liners to a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add wheat bran, coconut sugar, and walnuts, and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mash 1 banana with a fork then add eggs, Greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla, stir to combine. Add coconut oil and stir until incorporated. Dice the second banana into small chunks and stir into mixture.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and stir just until dry ingredients are moist. Add batter to muffin liners. Batter should extend above the liners.
- Bake muffins until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. These muffins are very moist and even better the second day.
- Tip: Do not refrigerate as this tends to dry them out. Feel free to freeze muffins after completely cooling.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.