Berries and basil are both in season during the summer months, making this toast an excellent summer breakfast. It’s naturally both sweet and savory. The berries and the honey will satisfy your sweet tooth while the lemon zest and the olive oil satisfy your savory cravings. This berries and basil cream cheese toast is delicious, easy, and healthy. Basil and berries contain antioxidants, and whole-wheat bread is high in fiber and rich in B vitamins. We upped the health factor even more by using fat-free cream cheese. It’s a breakfast you will love and feel good about eating.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 toast | Calories: 143 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 131mg | Carbohydrates: 11g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 3g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1/3 cup non-fat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons pure honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices whole wheat rustic French bread
- 1/4 cup raspberries, (optional, cut in 1/2 lengthwise)
- 1/4 cup blackberries, cut in 1/2 length wise
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, honey, lemon zest, and 3 tablespoons of the basil. Whip on high speed until light and fluffy.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, place each slice of French bread into the pan. Toast each side until golden brown.
- Once toasted, spread each of the toasted bread slices with the whipped cream cheese mixture, about 1 tablespoon per slice. Divide the raspberries and blackberries between each of the slices and place on top of the cream cheese. Sprinkle each with the remaining basil. Serve and enjoy
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.