A sweet, tart, and fruity warm weather dessert!
If desserts like pie and turnovers are your jam, you’re going to adore this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp! It’s a little bit tart, a little bit sweet, and only contains 205 calories per serving. It makes the perfect recipe for spring or summer because it’s light, yet fruity. Whip up a batch and bring it to your next picnic or backyard cookout. It’s likely to be a huge hit!
Easier than Pie but Just as Delicious!
Aside from the fact that this dessert tastes delicious, it’s also super easy to make compared to other desserts (like pie). In just a few simple steps, this scrumptious treat can be on the table and ready to enjoy!
You’ll want to start by preparing the sweet fruit mixture. While the oven is preheating, grab a large mixing bowl and combine the sliced strawberries and rhubarb with the cornstarch and granulated sugar. Once it’s sufficiently blended, pour the mixture into a casserole dish and spread it into an even layer.
In another bowl, add the ground cinnamon, all-purpose flour, rolled oats, diced butter, and brown sugar. You can use your hands, a fork, or even a pastry blender to combine these ingredients until you have a slightly chunky mixture. You don’t need it to be totally smooth. Carefully add this concoction on top of the strawberry mixture and place the casserole dish into the oven. Once the top layer is a pretty, golden brown color, your strawberry rhubarb crisp will be ready to eat!
Fruity Desserts are Perfect for Warmer Weather
We love fruity desserts, especially in the warmer months. Personally speaking, I always equate fruity flavors with spring and summer, but there’s another reason to love this dessert: ice cream! We like to serve this strawberry rhubarb crisp hot. If you have the calories to spare, it pairs wonderfully with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Just picture yourself sitting on the back porch, enjoying a serving of this tasty dessert on a hot summer evening. Of course, it’s also just as tasty served cold and on its own! Don’t be shy; give it a try!
Best Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 4 cups strawberries sliced
- 2 cups rhubarb sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (quick oats are best)
- 1/4 cup whole butter diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375, spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, cornstarch, and sugar. Mix well and spread in an even layer in the prepared casserole dish.
- In a second bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Using a fork, pastry blender, or your hands, carefully mix the ingredients until the mixture resembles sand with some larger pea sized chunks. Spread on top of the strawberry mixture.
- Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve hot or chilled.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you think this recipe is a winner, you’re going to love these other yummy dessert recipes as well:
Before you go, make sure you subscribe to our daily eNewsletter to stay up to date on all of our latest recipes! You can also follow us on Pinterest.
Do you have a healthy version of this that doesn’t include granulated sugar, white flour, butter, and brown sugar?
Carol, Check out https://skinnyms.com/baked-apple-pecan-crisp/