This recipe merges the delicious wonders of a burrito bowl with the savory thickness of warm chili. This ultra-healthy hybrid is perfect on a chilly day or when you’re pressed for time and crave a satisfying supper.
Our vegetarian Black Bean and Quinoa Chili Bowl pairs juicy fire-roasted tomatoes and flavorful corn kernels with warm, hearty black beans. Quinoa adds nutty texture and a host of health benefits thanks to its status as a nutritional powerhouse. The combination of chili powder, cumin, and cayenne give the dish a zesty kick. Bust out the bowls for this ultimate clean-eating meal!
Yields: 6 servings: | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup | Calories: 281 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 258mg | Carbohydrates: 46g | Fiber: 10g | Sugars: 5g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8 |
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (any variety), well rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels, frozen, from the cob, or drained from the can
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (BPA-free can)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (add more for a thinner soup)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in skillet with olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the onion is softened and translucent.
- Add minced garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, until golden and fragrant.
- Stir in stock, diced tomatoes with juice, quinoa, salt, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer over medium high heat until the quinoa softens, about 20 minutes.
- Add corn kernels and black beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!
For more hearty, healthy recipes and exciting workout routines, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest SkinnyMs. updates delivered straight to your inbox!
What vegetarian dishes would you like to see on SkinnyMs.? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers.