The secret to a good egg drop soup is in the broth. Our Bok Choy Egg Drop Soup recipe starts with a rich, savory broth using vegetables, herbs, and spices. After simmering for hours to develop those rich flavors, we then added bok choy for essential vitamins and nutrients. Egg whites keep this soup skinny, while fragrant chopped herbs add freshness. Best of all, it can be started in the slow cooker in the morning and finished when you get home in the evening!
This egg drop soup makes a great appetizer for an Asian-inspired menu, but you could also add shredded chicken if you wanted to make it a hearty meal.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 37 | Total Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 236mg | Carbohydrates: 6g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 3g | SmartPoints (Freelance): 1
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- Pinch of Kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 4 cups bok choy, chopped, loosely packed
- 4 egg whites
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add all ingredients except bok choy, egg whites, green onion, and cilantro to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Add bok choy, stir and continue cooking just until wilted, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. When the soup is hot, slowly stir while drizzling the whisked egg whites into the soup. Once all egg whites are incorporated, cook for an additional two minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, and top with green onion and cilantro to serve.
- Follow the same instructions above for prep, then cover and simmer until veggies are tender, approximately 2 hours. Stir every 15 minutes to prevent sticking. Add bok choy and egg whites as directed in recipe.
What did you think of this recipe? After you try it out, we’d love to hear from you in the comments!