Indulge in a taste of the Mediterranean with this delectable chicken dish.
By now, you’ve heard that the Mediterranean diet is the key to longevity and that it’s ingredients boast a wealth of antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients. This dish is emblematic of the perfectly complementary flavors of the Mediterranean region with its lush tomatoes, zesty lemon, earthy garlic, and just a hint of tartness from the berries. Present this deceptively simple recipe to guests, and your dinner parties will be the talk of the town.
Keep in mind the skin was left on the chicken, in order to provide tons of flavor. Feel free to remove the skin prior to serving.
Braised Mediterranean Chicken
- 4 whole chicken legs thighs with drumsticks attached
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low-sodium preferred
- 1/2 lemon sliced, plus a couple of slices for garnish
- 8 cherry tomatoes fresh
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes chopped coarsely
- 8 green olives pitted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 thyme sprigs fresh, plus a twig for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make a couple of slashes on the side of the chicken with the skin to cook the inner part better.
- Rub the chicken with the garlic, paprika, salt & pepper. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium heat, in a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, cook the chicken with the skin side down. Brown for about 10 minutes then flip to cook the other side.
- Add chicken broth.
- Add the lemon slices, fresh tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, thyme, dried cranberries, and olives. Cook for 5 minutes together. Pour the sauce on the chicken and other ingredients while cooking.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven. Cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken turns golden brown. While cooking, pour the sauce on the chicken. If using whole chicken legs, cut the thigh from the drumstick to serve, and serve 8 servings (thigh or drumstick) with sauce.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.