Do you like chewy caramel squares? If you answered yes, you’ll love this sauce! Drizzle a little over yogurt, cheesecake, Chocolate Bread Pudding…the possibilities are endless. We used unrefined, Coconut Palm Sugar which has a low-glycemic index and is naturally high in nutrients, unlike white granulated sugar.
Yields: 10 servings | Serving size: 1 tablespoon | Calories: 42 | Total Fat: 0 g | Saturated Fats: 0 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg |Sodium: 98 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Dietary fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 0 g | SmartPoints (freestyle): 2 |
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash of kosher or sea salt
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut palm sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk and cook over medium heat, until desired thickness. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir to combine. Refrigerate unused sauce. If sauce becomes too thick after refrigerating, add additional milk and reheat over low heat in a small saucepan until smooth.
- TIP: Caramel Sauce is best if eaten immediately after cooling slightly.
- Drizzle sauce over bread pudding, cinnamon rolls and other favorite desserts.
- NOTE: Coconut Palm Sugar can be found in the organic section of most grocery stores and at Whole Foods, Earth Fare and Trader Joe's.