This mango chicken burger recipe comes to us from Lisa Huff at the Snappy Gourmet. The burger is a healthy spin on a traditional burger, but also adds in monster flavor with mango and Caribbean spices. If you are a burger fan or you are looking for new ways to prepare chicken, you will love these healthy burgers.
Burgers are an American classic, but unfortunately, they are usually not a healthy option. Most burgers are full of saturated fat and loads of calories. There are alternatives, such as veggie burgers made from soy protein, but these are even packed with chemicals and preservatives. If you want a healthy alternative to a traditional burger that is truly made with healthy, whole ingredients, this is it.
Not only does this burger offer a healthier, leaner patty, it features the fresh flavors of the Caribbean. Mango is loaded with nutrients and has a sweet, tangy taste. It pairs perfectly with the mild flavor of chicken and is made even better with the burger’s Caribbean flair. Kids love this burger because it is colorful and lean. Kids sometimes turn their nose up at burgers dripping with pink grease, but this burger cooks up lean and light. The addition of fruit makes it even more appealing for your littlest diners.
Yields: 4 burgers | Serving Size: 1 burger | Calories: 386 | Total Fat: 10.3 g | Saturated Fat: 2.5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 102 mg | Sodium: 371 mg | Carbohydrates: 33.1 g | Dietary Fiber: 4.3g | Sugars: 12.2 g | Protein: 39.1 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2 |
- 1 pound lean (99% fat free) ground chicken
- 1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fresh mango, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeno, (seeds & stems removed) minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Caribbean (or Caribbean Jerk) seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 4 wheat rolls
- Toppings (optional): Monterey Jack cheese, lettuce, mango, onion slices, yogurt/mayo (no added sweetener)
- 1. Place chicken in a large mixing bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix together yogurt, mango, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, Caribbean seasoning, garlic, and lime zest until well combined. Gently stir yogurt mixture into chicken being careful not to overmix and compact meat. Form into 4 patties.
- 2. Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray (or use a little oil to coat bottom of pan) over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan and cook about 3-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- 3. Place chicken patties in rolls and top with desired toppings.
- SNAPPY TIPS: The chicken mixture can be a little moist and hard to form into patties. If you have that problem, you can divide the mixture into 4 balls then place the balls on the heated pan and use your fingers to flatten it. Don’t mess with the patties too much once they’re cooking because they will break apart the more you mess with them. Make a big batch of these burgers, wrap them individually, and freeze them for future meals. You can make a quick spread for these burgers by combining some yogurt or mayo with mango, lime juice, and cilantro in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- SNAPPY SUBSTITUTIONS: You can substitute any kind of ground meat for the chicken. A lean beef or turkey would also work well.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SGarlickinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.