Make a healthy Mexican meal tonight!
What’s better than a chicken enchilada? This cheesy, cornbread streusel-topped Chicken Enchilada Bake!
Perhaps the easiest dinner ever, this dish comes together in minutes. To speed up the process, swap in a pound of ground chicken, or use our Mexican Slow Cooker Chicken if you have time to prep your meals ahead for the week!
This dish is delicious served with diced tomatoes and avocados. The crunch of a romaine salad is also a perfect compliment! Try drizzling it with a bit of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt for a quick and tasty side that adds deliciously healthy flavor to this yummy dinner.
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 red onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper finely diced
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn frozen
- 16 ounces salsa or enchilada sauce, (optional 1 batch SkinnyMs. Enchilada Sauce)
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese reduced-fat
- 1/4 cup cilantro or chopped scallions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a cast-iron skillet, cook chicken breast until fully cooked. Shred chicken and return to skillet. Cook with 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, garlic and red pepper until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add black beans, corn, and salsa or enchilada sauce to the skillet. Turn off the stove and remove skillet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, cornmeal, white wheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, and egg. The mixture should resemble a crumb-like streusel. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of your skillet. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or just until the cheese is bubbly and barely golden. Garnish with cilantro or scallions. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms