A vegetarian spin on the classic casserole!
When fall rolls around and winter squash are in season, it can be difficult to come up with unique ways to use them. Made with two cheeses and tender egg noodles, this squash casserole is a delicious vegetarian meal option or side dish that is sure to please even squash haters. You can make this squash casserole with cheese in a casserole dish for a more rustic occasion, or in individual ramekins for a more elegant affair. Either way, you are sure to love it!
Cheesy Squash Casserole Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk low-fat
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or grated
- 1 cup winter squash cooked and pureed
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 cups egg noodles cooked according to the package directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Add the flour and cook until browned and smooth, about 4 minutes. Stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook for 1 minute. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and turn off the heat. Stir in the squash, Parmesan and half the cheddar and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Add the noodles to a square baking dish and pour the sauce over top. Top with the remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms