When fall rolls around and winter squash are in season, it can be difficult to come up with unique ways to use them. Made with two cheeses and tender egg noodles, this squash casserole is a delicious vegetarian meal option or side dish that is sure to please even squash haters. You can make this squash casserole with cheese in a casserole dish for a more rustic occasion, or in individual ramekins for a more elegant affair. Either way, you are sure to love it!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 297 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 47 mg | Sodium: 410 mg | Carbohydrates: 27 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 15 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10 |
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cooked and pureed winter squash
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups egg noodles, cooked according to the package directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Add the flour and cook until browned and smooth, about 4 minutes. Stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook for 1 minute. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and turn off the heat. Stir in the squash, Parmesan and half the cheddar and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Add the noodles to a square baking dish and pour the sauce over top. Top with the remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.