Nothing beats biting into a juicy, flavorful mushroom stuffed with cheese. Here at SkinnyMs., we adore Portobello mushrooms for their rich, meaty taste and low-calorie profile. They’re stuffed with nutrition, so you can pride yourself with every bite.
In our scrumptious Cheesy Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms recipe, superfoods like fire-roasted tomatoes and spinach are cooked until wilted and juicy and loaded into mushroom caps. Ultra-nutritious dried oregano, black olives, and garlic deliver bold flavor. Shredded skim mozzarella turns melty and irresistible after caps are baked. The simple cooking process yields tender caps with a bubbly, golden-brown finish and a mouthwatering aroma.
Cheesy Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 portobello mushrooms cleaned, stems removed, and brown gills on underside carefully scraped out with a spoon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes canned, drained
- 2 cups baby spinach loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1/4 cup black olives sliced, no liquid
- 1/2 cup mozzarella part-skim
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs or panko
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly rub each mushroom with olive oil. Set them top side down on a baking sheet.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until softened and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes (without juice), spinach, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Cook just until spinach is wilted, for about 2 minutes, stirring, and remove from the heat. Toss in sliced black olives. Spoon the mixture into each of the mushroom caps. Sprinkle on mozzarella then parmesan. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of parmesan. Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes until mushrooms are tender, tops are golden brown, and cheese is melted. Enjoy!
We love hearing from our readers. Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.