When was the last time you had a gorgeous, decadent, beautifully layered English trifle? Were you clamoring to take that first delicious, creamy bite? And afterward, did you feel just a bit guilty, or really weighed down by such a rich dessert? Our Cherry Chocolate Trifle recipe offers you all of the creamy, sweet goodness of a traditional trifle, with none of the guilt!
We make our trifle with all of the delightful ingredients that make your taste buds sing, including dark chocolate, espresso, cherries, and brandy. But we’ve chosen to use Greek yogurt, ricotta cheese, and our Clean Eating Whipped Topping, instead of heavy, fatty cream or custard. Each of these smooth, creamy ingredients is low in fat and calories, but still provides that beautiful taste and texture you expect in a trifle dessert. We’ve substituted coconut sugar for refined white sugar, for a naturally sweet taste that hasn’t been stripped of its nutrients through processing. This trifle is a clean eating wonder that impress those of you who consider yourselves dessert aficionados.
The result is a beautiful dessert that feels light and refreshing rather than rich and overwhelming. And we’ve combined bold, tart cherries with deliciously sophisticated dark chocolate for a gourmet taste that will impress guests at holidays, dinner parties, and pot lucks. Espresso adds another layer of bold flavor, and brandy gives the entire trifle a more complex flavor profile.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 244 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 10 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 15 mg | Sodium: 73 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Dietary Fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 17 g | Protein: 8 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 4 espresso servings (4 shots espresso)
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or sucanat
- 1 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups Clean Eating Whipped Topping
- 3 tablespoons tart or sour pie cherries in syrup ([cherry pie filling works well|http://astore.amazon.com/cleaneatinggroceries-20/detail/B00018CX4M) or amarena cherries in syrup, finely chopped + more for garnishing
- 3- 4 tablespoons syrup from the tart cherries in syrup or cherry pie filling or amarena cherries
- 3 tablespoons mini semisweet or dark chocolate chips + more for garnishing
- 4 ounces ladyfingers (a little over half of a 7-ounce package) or plain vanilla cookies (such as Nilla Wafers)
- First prepare your clean eating whipped topping.
- In a small bowl, mix the espresso, brandy and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the yogurt, ricotta cheese, and pie filling syrup. If you do not have beaters, you can combine the yogurt, ricotta cheese, and syrup in a blender and then add to a bowl. Add in the cherries and chocolate chips. Fold in the whipped topping, gently, until incorporated.
- Prepare the individual bowls. Dip the ladyfingers or vanilla cookies in the espresso mixture, just long enough to absorb the liquid but not too long that they become soggy. Layer them at the bottom of the bowls. Cut them to pieces if you have to, to make them fit.
- Spoon the creamy yogurt mixture on top of the ladyfingers or vanilla cookies and cover them. Repeat the layering. The last layer should be the yogurt mixture.
- Garnish with the remaining cherries and chocolate chips.
- Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.