Alfredo plus casserole equals major comfort food.
Imagine creamy, rich alfredo sauce drizzled over pasta cooked al dente. Are you craving it yet? But holding back from making up a batch tonight, because you want to avoid the heaping amounts of fat, cholesterol, and calories in traditional alfredo dishes? We’ve concocted an alfredo sauce in our kitchen that has all of the creamy goodness of the classix recipe, without the whopping fat and calories. This Chicken Alfredo Penne Casserole is a dish you can dig into without the guilt.
It’s amazing what a little creativity can to boost a recipe’s nutritional value and lower its fat, cholesterol, and calories. For this alfredo sauce, we’ve taken cauliflower and blended it until smooth with Parmesan cheese. No heavy cream required. Cauliflower has virtually no fat and is low in calories, and contains a hefty amount of fiber and antioxidants to boot! You’ll be amazed at how good this sauce tastes, and when you serve it to friends and family, they won’t believe that it’s not the traditional recipe!
We’ve taken pasta alfredo one step further by baking it as a casserole. Talk about the ultimate in comfort food! We’ve crumbled chicken or turkey sausage into this casserole to add lean protein, and just the right amount of mozzarella. Combining the sauce, pasta, cheese, and meat is easy to do and baking it up is a snap. Have this alfredo sauce on hand for an easy weeknight meal!
Chicken Alfredo Penne Casserole
- 3 cups Skinny Alfredo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces boneless and skinless chicken breasts sliced to strips
- 3 ounces lean chicken sausage or turkey, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 14 ounces whole-grain penne
- 3/4 cup parmesan grated
- 3 1/2 ounces mozzarella ball roughly chopped
- parsley fresh, finely chopped for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil to cook the penne.
- In a large saucepan, make your skinny alfredo sauce.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the chicken and sausage then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When the water for the penne is boiling, add some salt then cook them for following the number of minutes indicated in the package but lessen 2 minutes from it.
- In the saucepan of the alfredo sauce, mix in the chicken, penne, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and mozzarella.
- Transfer the penne to an oiled baking dish then sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until it turns golden brown on top.
- Sprinkle with the parsley if using.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Here are more delicious pasta dishes to create:
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.